"Frog Hammer brought so much energy to our dance weekend! It was fun to watch the reactions of our dancers to tune after tune of rowdy fun. The band enjoys a good time and it shows - that joy spills out to the dance floor!"
-Stacy Stanley, President, Knoxville Contra Dance and coordinator of the Cabin Fever Dance Festival
Frog Hammer Highlights
* Frequent pub ceilidhs at the Pour House on Washington's Capitol Hill. The audience drew heavily from young, hip Capitol Hill professionals; beer and food sales soared during our ceilidhs.
* 2014: the first-ever contra/ceilidh dance at the Millennium Stage of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC , drawing an overflow crowd of experienced dancers and novices alike. Streamed on the Kennedy Center's Web site, with viewers/commenters from as far away as Australia. Watch it here.
* 2013: Frog Hammer organized and headlined the first American Ceilidh Extravaganza at Blob's Park, Jessup, MD, with a crowd of more than 280 enthusiastic and very thirsty dancers.
* Regular appearances at the Glen Echo Friday and Sunday night contra dances, the Bluemont Dance, the Silver Spring dance and others regional dances
* Contra dance weekends. In 2017 Frog Hammer was a featured band at FootFall, an event drawing dancers from across the country to the Timber Ridge camp in West Virginia. in February, 2018 , Frog Hammer was featured at the Cabin Fever dance weekend in Knoxville, TN
* Ceilidhs and contras at the Washington Folk Festival, Takoma Park Folk Festival and the Folklore Society of Greater Washington Midwinter Festival . Especially popular: our family-friendly introductory English ceilidhs in the historic Spanish Ballroom at Glen Echo Park, Bethesda, MD
* Weddings and other special events. We work with teachers/callers who get just about everybody onto the dance floor, offering a memorable celebratory experience. Contact us for references!
What Frog Hammer can do for your pub, dance venue, wedding or party!
For your pub: Frog Hammer ceilidhs are a proven draw. The dances are simple and highly energetic , taught and led by experienced callers skilled at making even complete beginners comfortable. We are accustomed to working in tight spaces; for pub ceilidhs, a crowded floor adds to the fun of this very social form of dancing. We take frequent breaks - and urge parched dancers to take advantage of the bar. Audiences tend to be young professionals, many without dance experience but eager for new ways to have fun, and they like good beer. At the Pour House and Top of the Hill, longtime pub landmarks in downtown Washington, sales soared on our ceilidh nights.
For your wedding or other special event: Just ask the couples who have hired us. We work only with experienced callers who spread the joy of ceilidh dancing to even two-left-footed and dance-phobic guests. We can meet your special needs. Need a hora or a Scandinavian wedding march? We've done those! We have great waltzes for those special dances.
For your contra dance weekend or regular contra dance: We don't just do English ceilidhs. We play regularly at the Glen Echo Friday and Sunday night contra dances - among the largest and most prestigious contras in the country - and at many other regional dances. We have a huge repertoire emphasizing tunes not commonly heard on the contra dance circuit - tunes from the English tradition, tunes written by our accordionist and band leader Andrew Marcus, snippets of tunes from popular culture. Cab Calloway or Star Wars at a contra dance? Why not? And we do singing sets featuring Englishman Glyn Collinson. Frog Hammer's eclectic repertoire, high energy sound (with drums, a horn section and - sometimes - electric guitar) and highly charged stage presence distinguish us from most contra dance bands. Not your parents' contra dance band, for sure!
Book / contact Frog Hammer
For bookings or questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org